Many of your students will leave home to attend College. This is probably the first time in their lives that they have been away from home for an extended period. It is inevitable that they become homesick and long for home. Here are some tips you can give them that can help them get over it:
1. Keep in touch with their family and loved ones. Just because they are gone doesn’t mean they shouldn’t call, zoom, text etc. to keep in touch.
2. Stay healthy and workout regularly.
3. Ask for help. There is no shame in them asking someone for help when they don’t feel great. Reach out to a friend and let them know how they are feeling. Talking it out can help a lot.
4. Make new friends. A new social circle may be all they need to become a part of their new community.
5. Keep their routines and habits they had back home.
6. Take some photos exploring new places (and have them send them home to mom and dad).
7. Try local food. Experiencing new local flavors can help them become more entrenched into their new community.
8. Keep a diary. They will enjoy a year later going back to see how they were feeling as they grow into their new community.
9. Think positively. A positive outlook can provide energy.
10. Join clubs and participate in various social activities. This is another way to meet new friends.
These tips were tips were shared by IvyPanda. Check out their Guide to “How to Survive When You Study Away from Home” here: https://ivypanda.com/blog/homesickness-101/