4 Ways for your students considering going to College Out-of-State to get In-State Tuition

Many students decided they want to go to College Out-of-State. In fact my son was accepted to several colleges locally in Texas but after visiting Louisiana State University decided that was the College for him. Luckily he had a partial scholarship which offset some of the cost of going out-of-state but he is still paying a higher tuition rate than in-state students.

How can you help those students that want to go out-of-state cut their costs? Her Campus recently published an article with 4 tips on helping out-of-state students to get in-state tuition. They are:

  1. Ask colleges in neighboring states for reduced tuition:  Your student should calls the schools financial aid office and ask if they offer special in-state tuition programs for neighboring states. Many schools offer these programs but they may not be publicized unless you ask.
  2. Look for a regional exchange program: Regional exchange programs also act like friendly neighbors, but on a much larger scale. They’re financial aid programs that reduce out-of-state tuition for students attending school in a certain region. Pay close attention to the programs’ deadlines, guidelines about eligible major choices, academic requirements and capacity limits, because they can differ for each program! With a little research, your student can be saving big bucks in no time.
  3. Establish residency: This may seem extreme but to save more than 60% off out-of-state tuition rates it may be worth the effort. A student can’t just establish residency by going to college there. Most states require an in-state student to be a state
    resident for at least 12 continuous months prior to enrollment, and for others, it’s 24 months. In addition, if you’re a dependent student, your custodial parent also has to reside in the state. Every state has its own rules and regulations, and every college within each state has its own interpretations, so it’s necessary to do research—and tons of it.
  4. Your student or their parents work for the college, state or government:  If your students parents just so happen to work as state employees, faculty or staff at a college, members of the military, law enforcement or firefighters, they may be able to receive a tuition waiver or tuition remission. Other beneficiaries can be military personnel, families of first responders (especially those that have been killed in the line of duty). Each state has different policies so it could be worth the effort to research available programs.  The original article is source here – http://www.hercampus.com/high-school/4-ways-out-state-students-get-state-tuition