Basic Questions to Ask on College Visits
- Why differentiates this school from other colleges?
- Are you happy being a student (teacher) at this school?
- What are this school’s strengths?
- If you had to say, what’s your biggest complaint about this college?
- What is one area where this school could improve?
- How accessible are the professors, financial aid officers, student services employees, etc.?
- What’s the average financial aid package look like?
- What do the four-, five-, and six-year graduation rates look like?
- How many freshmen return here for their sophomore year?
Academic Questions to Ask During a College Visit
- Which majors are the most popular here, and why?
- How many courses/hours does the average full-time student take each semester?
- What programs or departments have the strongest reputations?
- What teaching style do most professors here use?
- Are most classes led by professors or teaching assistants?
- Is accessing first-choice classes a challenge?
- Do classes tend to be discussion-based or lecture-based?
- How much time should students expect to dedicate to studying and assignments outside of the classroom?
- Are collaborative or group projects common requirements?
- Do students have access to tutoring programs, writing centers, computer labs, or other learning-oriented resources?
- What’s the average number of students in a classroom at a time for introductory courses? What about advanced classes?
- Is studying abroad an available or popular option?
- Are there opportunities for undergraduate research?
- Is the Disability Services office helpful? What resources do they make available to qualifying students?
Campus Life College Visit Questions
- What does an average day for a first-year student look like here?
- What do students do when they aren’t in class?
- What are weekends like on campus?
- Is there a vibrant social scene?
- Where do students go to hang out?
- Is there something about the local community that sets it apart?
- What student organizations or clubs are the most popular?
- Are there a lot of fraternities or sororities?
- If a student was looking for a great place to study, where on-campus should they go besides their dorm room or the library?
- What facilities (gyms, libraries, theaters, labs, etc.) are available to students?
- Is the WiFi on campus fast? Are there dead spots on campus? Does it go down a lot?
- Are sports a big part of this school’s culture?
Residence Life Questions to Ask When Touring a College
- What is the dorm environment like? How many students are there per room? Are the bathrooms private or shared? Are there kitchens, laundry rooms, or lounges?
- Are dorms separated by shared interest, academic year, or another criterion?
- Do most students get along with their initially assigned roommate or are changes frequently requested?
- If I need a room switch, is that possible? Who do I contact?
- How’s the cafeteria or on-campus food?
- Do the dining halls accommodate special dietary requirements?
- Are there any local restaurants that students love?
- Can you get around easily without a car? What are the available transportation options?
Student Body Questions for a College Visit
- What makes this student body unique?
- Is this a diverse campus? Are there international students?
- Are students generally friendly?
- What percentage of the students live in the dorms?
- Does this school have a lot of cliques?
- Does it ever feel too crowded here?
- Have there been any student protests on campus recently? What issue was the focus?
Work and Career Questions to Ask on a College Tour
- Can you find internships here? Where do you go to learn more about them?
- Are work-study options available?
- Is the Career Services office helpful?
- Are there leadership opportunities on campus?
- Does the school help students get involved in the community? What opportunities are available?
- Can students find summer jobs through the college or in the local community with ease?
- Is the alumni association active and visible on campus?
These questions were provided by The Scholarship System. Check them out at : https://thescholarshipsystem.com/blog-for-students-families/57-essential-questions-to-ask-on-a-college-visit/?utm_campaign=coschedule&utm_source=facebook_page&utm_medium=The%20Scholarship%20System&utm_content=57%20Essential%20Questions%20to%20Ask%20on%20a%20College%20Visit